Monday, January 14, 2013

Honey and smart little bees

I believe in the 100 mile eating rule. This means whenever possible support your local farmers within 100 miles of where you live. Seek them out (lots of fun). You will find many of their products are organic or natural (no antibiotics or additives). These products not only taste better they are fresher and naturally good for you.
I love to head to the Kitchener area. Mennonites there farm some of Ontario's best produce, free range eggs and maple syrup products.

Recently my son-in law developed a craving for honey which he purchased at the St Lawrence market I noticed it came from Millbank just outside Kitchener. Being the super shopper / traveller I am,I had to head straight to this Apiary.



Now -- this is no roadside stand selling a few jars of honey. No --- this farm has a warehouse full of honey. Boxes and boxes ready to be shipped across the country.
Locals brought in jars which were filled from the honey barrel, then weighed to complete the sale. I believe many were buying enough for the winter. Made sense as this is a summer product (no flowers - no honey)

I was amazed at the different types of honey available. There was liquid - creamed - cinnamon flavoured - and even one which had raspberries added.
You could buy raw or pasteurized honey.

One box stood alone and caught my eye.

WOW --- I know what elderberries are. Not only do they taste great in pie or jam (Mom made the best elderberry pie) they also provide many health benefits.
I just had to have a jar!

Winter is now upon us and I have decided it is time to enjoy my elderberry honey. Perhaps it will help ward off winter colds --- who knows ----.
Tastes great. Slight aftertaste - definitely of elderberries -- BUT -----
How do they know these bees collected nectar just from elderberries? Who trained them to do that? Are they sure some renegade bee didn't sneak off to another more attractive flower along the way?
I will have to ask my grand nieces (very smart they are and can always come up with  answers).

In the mean time I have been cold free and enjoying honey daily.

Tea and toast anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Carol.. That honey looks great.. will have to keep an eye out for that when we get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, while staying in Wellington this winter, we have gone several places outside the city, including the town of Martinborough in the Wairarapa. There are numerous wineries in the region and at the one called Ata Rangi I found a Bush Block Honey. It is part of a fund raiser for Project Crimson, a charitable conservation trust whose mission is "to plant and protect the striking red-flowering natives, Rata and Pohutukawa" trees. The Ata Rangi founder is also working to restore Rata to the Wairarapa region. It is really good, especially on toast made from the bakery that is just around the corner from us. We also enjoy the honey at home that one of the Optimist Club members produces on his farm near Park Hill. Have been enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete